This recipe is part of the DisneySide “Beauty and the Beast” viewing party. For more information about the party, click here!
“Try the grey stuff, it’s delicious! Don’t believe me, ask the dishes!”
Or, if you can’t ask them, ask anybody who’s been to Be Our Guest Restaurant at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. The most famous color-based food has come to life there, at first being served as a special treat to select guests, and now as a dessert you can order straight off the dessert menu.
And it really is delicious… I know I couldn’t get enough of it (despite the fact our fantastic server brought us an entire tray of the stuff at the end of the night).
I know it’s most often described as simply an Oreo cookie mousse, but actually the original recipe was a whipped panna cotta, not a mousse, though the recipe has changed slightly over three years to certainly make it more mousse-like.
Unfortunately, because the dish is so iconic, so popular, and something of a “trade secret,” Disney hasn’t shared the exact recipe… However, it’s not impossible to whip up a similar version at home.
COPYCAT RECIPE – THE GREY STUFF
Copycat recipe to “The Grey Stuff” at Be Our Guest Restaurant, Magic Kingdom
- 1 3.5 ounce cup of mini Oreos
- 1 3.4 ounce box of cookies and cream pudding mix°o° 1½ cup chilled milk
- 4 – 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Edible pearls, if desired, decoration
- Pulse mini Oreos in a food processor until crumbled into fine crumbs. Set aside.In a large bowl, add cookies and cream pudding mix and milk. Whisk until pudding mix is dissolved. Let stand in fridge for 5 minutes. When mixture has thickened and started to set, add Oreo crumbs and mix. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in 4 ounces of whipped topping until well combined, adding more if desired until desired taste and consistency is achieved.
- Pipe or dollop onto a chilled plate and top with edible pearls, if desired.